Slowly, but surely, I am acquiring a social life. Not only are we friends with the University carpenters, who keep having to come fix things in our house, but we have our swim team buddies, with whom we chat more and more (there's a certain punchiness at 5:00 A.M.). Superman has his research group, and I have my friends at the co-op. We're going to a party next door on Friday, and to a research group party Sunday. I have plans to visit a contact at St. Andrew's, where they filmed Dead Poets Society, in January, and I have even enrolled in a class: History of Rock. I have high expectations for this academic experience. Will there be in-class performances? Will we study Wilco or Bob Mould? I chose the class based on the high recommendation of one of our movers, a student here, who raved about it. I've confirmed with other students that it's very popular, so it will be like shopping at Abercrombie--I will feel "in," even if I'm not. Other than choosing it 'cause it's cool, I was attracted by the fact that it's not too long (an hour a day would be preferable, but it's one hour, thirty minutes. I balked at the class that was three times a week for three hours. I'm too old to do that, and what would I do at the breaks? It did occur to me that there might be a final. But I figure since I got a 98% the last time I took a test for traffic school, I should be OK.
So all's well in Delaware. Poppette the Rockette may soon have a buddy other than her "mom"; we want to get another kitten after the holidays. We really want a lab puppy, but we need to wait till we're more mature. We have the advantage of regular phone and email contact with our families and friends, too, so we feel connected to those who know us best even as we forge new friendships, and we're looking forward to Christmas in California.
Merry, merry!
No comments:
Post a Comment