Monday, April 09, 2007

I Threw Up in PetSmart

Hi, I'm Katie, and I threw up in PetSmart on Easter Sunday. Yes, that's right. After managing to get through elementary, middle, and high school without incident, I saved my public embarassment for adulthood.

Some background: Easter was mellow. We woke up, read the paper, met our friends for brunch at Home Grown Cafe, saw the fabulous Blades of Glory, grabbed coffee and a cookie, and headed to PetSmart to look at kittens.

As I watched Matt cuddle Panther, a sweet black kitten, I started to feel horrible. I headed for the restroom, somewhat abruptly, where I felt like I was going to pass out. I returned to the adoption center, where I was able to blurt, "I think we need to go; I feel like I'm going to pass out," before literally tossing my cookies right in front of the adoption area. Those poor cats. Matt managed to get me out of the store, arranging for someone to clean up after me (I feel terribly guilty, but they were nonplussed; I guess when you work in a pet store, little phases you), and home without incident. I spent the evening relaxing, talking on the phone, watching Prison Break, and generally feeling fine.

I appear to be OK. Who knows what caused it, but I'm glad to feel normal now! Will we be getting Panther? I really don't know. Perhaps that was a sign that it's not the right time to get a new kitten?

Though my ailment was the more dramatic one, I should also acknowledge Superman's suffering. The rash mentioned last week turned out to be a hideous reaction to Poison Ivy that worsened as the week progressed. Apparently, the pretty purple shoots we so carefully refrained from pulling up during our spree of yard work are Poison Ivy's angry spring sprouts, due to become evil green "leaves of three; let them be" in short order. I was spared due to my uncanny ability to be distracted by anything and everything; I kept going off to do other things in the yard, avoiding the Poison Ivy area. I also had neighbor Mike's gardening gloves on--thanks, Mike! We'll buy you some new ones that aren't covered in poison! Poor Superman is using Benadryl cream, steroid cream, and calamine lotion, taking steroids that keep him awake with a chaser of Benadryl, which knocks him out, and generally being a trooper. My goal this weekend was to distract him with a movie and kittens; I like to think I went one better, by making him take care of me, in my short illness, to get his mind off his!

In other news, I'm bummed not to be able to vote in the city election tomorrow. Apparently, my voter status has not gone through. However, we are considering posing for a photo, to be included in a book about Newark's history (pictures of city residents will run in a small strip all through the book). Our tax returns are done, I have a little break from work today, and I'm happy to be inside, instead of out in the cold (yes, cold. Spring appears to be taking a break from emerging for a few days.). I'm reading the sequal to Twilight, which I heartily recommend to girls who like vampire stories and romance.

Happy Easter Monday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry, I just laughed hysterically at this.

I hope you're feeling better!