I've been in The Big Easy this week--Superman's entire research group, and much of the College of Ag. and Natural Resources, attended a conference here, and many spouses tagged along. The weather has been lovely, and we're staying at the pleasant Maison Dupuy hotel in the French Quarter.
The area around the New Orleans Convention Center has turned into quite the posh little stomping ground, and the Garden District remains gorgeous and inspiring.
I have also hoofed it around the French Quarter quite a bit, enjoying the historic buildings, European feel, quiet blocks, and pleasantness of morning.
Tuesday, after walking Superman to the conference, I walked along the river, pausing to visit the New Orleans Holocaust Memorial, which was beautiful and innovative. I continued on to Jackson Square, where I visited one of the state museums. My next stop was The 1850 House, followed by a visit to my new favorite cafe, Royal St. Coffee. I attempted to tour another restored house that the NY Times has lauded, but the timing was off, so I returned to the hotel to relax and work a bit.
That evening, we went to a UD/VA Tech mixer and dinner at the original House of Blues with the gang. Who knew, but it's hard to find vegetarian food in New Orleans, so I've eaten a lot of salad and indulged in some treats.
The animals here are a kick--all these very friendly, mellow cats and dogs. There is a Cockatiel around the corner that says "hi" when you walk by, and if you stop and talk to the bird, it will climb up the iron door it sits in and then slide down it! When we clap, it bows for us. It's really cute.
I could live here easily--the more we get out and about, the more friendly people we meet. The climate is so mild and the people so friendly, it's easy to see how badly people wanted to get home after Katrina. Yesterday, we volunteered for the day in St. Bernard Parish, a very meaningful and transformative day for me. I'll write more about it in my next post.
Laissez les bons temps roulez...and carpe diem.
No comments:
Post a Comment