Monday, February 19, 2007

Well, Hello There, George Washington!

Ran into George Washington on Saturday. He was chillin' at Longwood Gardens for the weekend, chatting with visitors, enjoying the sunshine. Mr. Washington gets around--saw him at the Hale-Byrnes house at Christmastime, too. I guess that's what I'd do if I were George--cruise around to the various wonderful places, chat with the nice people, keep my name out there.

Today, the University of Delaware is not honoring George, however. They're in session. Which means Superman is at the office and at class, and I am working, too. Probably good--I should be working--and I did sneak in a nap after swimming--but I do find myself just slightly nostalgic for Egan's Winter Break. Supermom and Superdad are in Santa Monica, visiting Superbro (have fun at the Farmer's Market, guys!) on their week off.

We spent Saturday enjoying the sight of Longwood in the snow and petting the cats who keep the gardens mouse-free (they have cozy condos and are well-fed and cared for by Longwood's wonderful staff). We went winetasting at Chaddsford Winery and learned about East Coast wines. Sunday was spent in Historic New Castle, site of William Penn's arrival and home to the first signer of the Declaration of Independence. For a half million, you can own one of the oldest homes in town, a gorgeous large brick dwelling with a cute yard on a lovely historic street. I'd live there in a minute! We visited the old graveyards in town and the Courthouse and saw the historic Amstel and Dutch houses. New Castle's right on the Delaware River, so we wandered down to Battery Park on the banks of the river. We can't wait to go back when the weather's nicer.

Today, it's sunny and much warmer, which means the ice will finally melt off the sidewalks and I can run again without fearing a tumble. Spring is coming...blossoms, flowers...can't wait.

Happy President's Day!

No comments: