Monday, March 19, 2007

Supergirl in New York City

Superman had to do some work at Brookhaven National Lab on Long Island, so I hitched a ride and got dropped off at Canal and Broadway in Manhattan Friday afternoon. It was a "wintry mix," everyone's favorite weather. Superman refers to it as "hurty snow." My glasses may never be the same, but I did make it successfully to the Public Theater, where my Superfriend Laura works (lucky girl--I always tell her her friends love her job--fortunately for her, she does, too). I dropped the suitcase, checked in with her, and headed to the Yaffa Cafe in the East Village for lunch. It's the first place I ever went in New York City, and I was enthralled with its funky decor, festive back patio, and vegetarian food. It's been ten years since that time, and I must say, Yaffa has not evolved with age. Lunch was sub-par, but it was entertaining to be there again, and it was warm...my only criteria by the time I walked over there from the Public.

After lunch, I headed uptown to the MOMA with Laura's membership card (bless her heart). I'm not a lingerer, which most people would say means I don't truly understand or appreciate art. I don't think I understand it, no, but I definitely appreciate it. I got to see Jeff Wall's amazing photographs--what an exhibit! Yowza! I also wandered the entirety of the museum, marveling at the names in there, enjoying my favorite works, focusing on the artists I like most. From MOMA, I walked over to my haircut appointment with Alan at Salon Ziba. Alan is a very affordable genius. I think I might be his most far-flung client. Now I have stylists in Palo Alto, San Francisco, Delaware, and NYC! Philly is next. :)

Once I had good hair, I couldn't take the wintry mix anymore and returned to the Public to read while Laura finished work for the day. We then walked over to Om Yoga, my new favorite yoga studio, to take Margy the wonder teacher's class. Blissed out, we went to a Mexican place at 14th and Broadway (I think) for epic corn soup and a magnificent burrito. The evening's entertainment was Kodo, a taiko drumming group that performed at Joe's Pub, the small venue attached to the Public. The drumming was phenomenal, and the most interesting point in the evening came when the Resident Calligrapher at Princeton University (yes, it's true) did an art piece while the group was playing.

Saturday morning, I brunched at the famous Sarabeth's on the Upper West Side with my high school buddy Hillary. We had a great time catching up and wandering around the frozen tundra of the UWS. I headed downtown to another class at Om with Laura, and from there, we went to tea, then shopped a bit at the Young Designer's Showcase, before a magnificent Italian dinner. Joe's Pub hosted two bands that night, the Hunger Mountain Boys and Wyos, who were both amazing--bluegrass and...vaudeville? at their finest.

Sunday brunch was at Chiles y Chocolate, a Oaxacan restaurant in Brooklyn that's to die for. Their "Oaxacalatte" is delicious! Then, Laura and I saw "In the Heights," the best musical I've ever seen, after which we shopped a little in the West Village before she dropped me off at the Public Theater to see if I could get into Jack Goes Boating, the new LAByrinth Theater Company production starring Philip Seymour Hoffman. As I was sitting waiting for my name to be called, Mr. Big, a.k.a. Chris Noth, walked right past me! I froze. I wanted to call my friend Marta, but I realized how dorky that would be to do right then. He stayed in my vicinity for longer than was good for my blood pressure, and then Michelle Dessler from 24 walked in! Sam Rockwell and some actress I know I've seen in US Weekly but have no idea what her name is showed up next. What a kick. I got into the show, had a great seat, and thoroughly enjoyed the play. Laura and I attended the Opening Night afterparty and spied more stars...Martha Plimpton, "Phil" himself, Daphne Rubin-Vega, who was also in the show, and plenty of others whom I just couldn't put a name to. Also, the food and drinks were amazing.

Exhausted, we headed home. Now, I'm waiting for my exciting ride home to Delaware in the snazzy University of Delaware Dodge Stratus. No doubt Miss Kitty will be delighted to see her parents, though Superneighbor Mike, the best neighbor we've ever had, has been taking excellent care of her.

Happy Belated St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: