Monday, July 02, 2007

The Expanding Menagerie

Now that we've bitten the bullet and committed to adopting the stray cats behind the house, we've named them: Zinnia, because we discovered her kittens right after planting zinnias in the flowerbed, and Edgar Allen Poe, for local legend and because he looks like hard-drinking, tortured-soul kind of fella. Both are happily eating our food and supervising our backyard. However, they're not as vigilant as one might hope: I left the house today to see a woodchuck (or perhaps a groundhog?) scampering off. According to neighbor Mike, the little guy has been a resident in our house almost as long as Mike's lived in his. Mike's roommate has also spotted a possum family living behind their house, so we've got quite a crew, probably all of whom are helping themselves to the cat food. Ah, well, what're ya gonna do?

The dog has become an adolescent. I left him attached to the kitchen island for two minutes today while I cleaned up after him in the yard, and returned just in time to see him hastily hop down from the radiator, where he'd propped his two front paws while he played with the phone headset and retrieved Superman's Croc. Everyone in our house loves Crocs--we like to wear them, and Fairfax likes to eat them. He's already decimated an Old Navy flip-flop, so I'd really like to see the rest of my summer footwear make it through the season intact. The phone is now set to "Do Not Disturb," which will apparently require a technical genius to re-set. Thanks, Fairfax. Glad you're monitoring our calls.

He is in his crate for some "down time" with his dental dinosaur, a new favorite toy that's a) indestructable and b) helpful for a teething puppy. I meanwhile, am trying not to fail my nutrition class. Time to study...

No comments: