Friday, July 13, 2007

Just Ducky



A duck startled Fairfax and me on our walk this afternoon. Next door to the skate shop, one of the downtown businesses has juniper bushes, and I have seen this particular duck, a female mallard, emerge from them before. However, I certainly didn't think she resided there. Rather, I assumed she had flown to downtown Newark by mistake, from a pond somewhere, perhaps. Apparently, she is a permanent downtown resident. As Fairfax and I strolled past the bushes this afternoon, a major rustling occurred in the foliage. The duck leapt out, hitting me as she did so. I'll admit that I screamed. Then I started laughing. Fairfax and I took a moment to watch the duck. She wandered down Haines street, in front of several cars, who were laughing just like I was. Fairfax didn't seem to find it terribly unusual.

It's definitely Friday the 13th. Either that or God is trying to tell me to become a veterinarian.

In other news, Wonder Dog is up to his usual tricks, sneaking upstairs to steal the cat's toys and play with toilet paper, vacuuming up everything that comes near his mouth, and testing what happens when he hops onto the furniture and gets cozy. We took him to Longwood Gardens last weekend to expose him to a new environment; he loved it. An added bonus was seeing the century plant, which only blooms once and then dies. It's blooming this summer only.

Happy Friday the 13th!

No comments: