Duck update: She's guarding six eggs. That's why she jumps out of the bushes every time Fairfax passes by--she's afraid he's going to steal her eggs. Why she chose foot-deep bushes (not juniper; not sure what they are) in downtown Newark, I'll never know. But now I have to worry that once the ducklings hatch, they're going to be wandering town in search of a pond, vulnerable to the psychotic local drivers, not to mention the cats, possums, and groundhog that live at my house. Come to think of it, why didn't she choose my house? Everyone else does!
I know there's an organization called Tri-State Bird Rescue in town; I suppose I'll call them. Why I feel compelled to be Mrs. Animal Rescue I don't know; perhaps it's the same compulsion that motivates me really fond of police officers. I'm old, I'm no longer particularly cool; I have nothing to lose by trying to make things right in my community. The more pets I get, the more of a soft spot I develop for animals, too.
Good luck, Jemima Puddleduck; we'll be keeping an eye on you.
Saturday, July 14, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I honestly knew nothing about this duck. I walk by there all the time. I'll have to look for it next time I'm out on the town.
My friend Katie that I mentioned to you works for Tri-State Rescue! They usually do oil spills I think. Katie's leaving for grad school in Buffalo NY in a week or two so you might want to call while you have a contact there! Let me know if you need more info :) Thanks for the great updates, I am in love with fairfax, he's SO Cute.
Post a Comment